Amsterdam, June 15, 2022 — Adobe (Nasdaq:ADBE) announces major updates to Adobe Substance 3D, a set of tools and services that support the creation of 3D content. Updates include a 3D Materials SDK for developers, powerful new plugins, and support for native Apple M-series chips for Painter, Designer, and Sampler. The company also previewed innovations from Adobe Research to design, create and deliver realistic and immersive experiences. Adobe showcased how leading brands use Substance 3D tools to create unique customer experiences. Additionally, Adobe has announced that Substance 3D applications will be free to educators and students around the world.
†Smart brands are becoming ‘metaverse ready’ by expanding their 3D content creation capabilities. That means creative artists with a 3D background have plenty of opportunities.said Scott Belsky, chief product officer and executive vice president of Adobe Creative Cloud. †These innovations bring new superpowers to the growing number of creative people using Substance 3D.†
Substance 3D Collection for immersive experiences
The growing importance of 3D and immersive content has contributed to a strong demand for Substance’s 3D tools in the gaming, entertainment and e-commerce industries. 3D content creation also continues to become a core skill for creative professionals as more brands gear up for the metaverse and other immersive experiences. Substance tools have seen strong year-over-year growth of 100 percent, with hundreds of thousands of monthly active users now.
Adobe has announced several updates to the Substance 3D Collection, including:
- Supports native Apple M-series chips for Substance Painter, Designer, and Sampler, enabling 3D content creators to work faster than ever. All three tools are part of the Substance 3D Collection, the only comprehensive solution for 3D imaging and experiences.
- To make the power of Substance materials as accessible as possible, a new Substance 3D Materials SDK allows developers to write their own plugins and use Substance’s 3D material and model engines in other applications. A new Substance 3D automation toolkit provides functionality to automate Substance file-based tasks.
- A Substance Materials Plugin in Photoshop it joins an existing Illustrator plugin, already used by hundreds of thousands of Illustrator users. The plugin helps users save time and eliminates numerous steps required to create texture and design variations and 3D effects. The latest update to the Substance 3D plugin for Unity allows creators to load, apply, and modify parametric Substance materials directly in the Unity engine; a development platform for creating cross-platform 2D and 3D games and interactive experiences.
- Adobe is expanding its capabilities into 3D modeling workflows and will also release Substance 3D Modeler to customers later this year. Modeler introduces an intuitive approach to 3D modeling that frees users from previous complex and technical constraints. The desktop and VR tool enables a wide range of creative possibilities, including creating concept art, sketches and prototypes, creating detailed characters or props, or even modeling an entire scene.
†Integrating Adobe Substance 3D into our product design and development processes brings a new level of creative freedom to the HUGO BOSS team“, said Sebastian Berg, Head of Digital Excellence at HUGO BOSS AG. †The rise of the metaverse offers exciting opportunities for the world of fashion, and Adobe Substance’s 3D tools are an integral part of our approach as we execute on our plan to develop 80 percent of our collections digitally by the end of this year.†
New innovations from Adobe Research for future metaverse experiences
Adobe Research also previewed research projects designed to enable future metaverse experiences:
- New AR and 3D shopping tools from Adobe Research and Adobe Commerce bring rich online information to the in-store shopping experience. Customers can scan products on their phone or handheld device to access personalized shopping information, price comparisons, ratings and product details. This helps customers make better in-store purchasing decisions and gives retailers the tools to adapt to customer needs in real time. B2B companies can also use this technology to optimize warehouses.
- Additionally, Adobe previewed a new smart method for optimizing load time for optimal AR customer experiences. The new AI-powered approach enables businesses to deliver a high-quality augmented reality experience in a fraction of the time it would normally take. AR content relevant to the viewer is prioritized based on their movements in physical space. This will help companies mitigate common challenges that arise from slow load times in large AR scenes. This technology will be integrated into Adobe Aero later this year.
Prices and availability
Support for native Apple M-series chips for Substance Painter, Designer, and Sampler, and the Substance Materials plugin for Photoshop, are available today. The Substance 3D Plugin for Unity will be available later this month and Substance 3D Modeler, currently in beta, will be available later this year.
Beginning this summer, Adobe will extend free access to Substance 3D applications to educators and students around the world. Universities that subscribe to the Creative Cloud All Apps plan already have free access to Adobe Substance 3D applications.
This article is a sent message and is not the responsibility of the editors.