Investing in crypto was seen as a big joke a few years ago. Although topics like blockchain and crypto are far from mainstream, it is a topic that is top of mind. The number of investors on this list emphasizes once again that there is real confidence in cryptocurrencies. You’re watching?
Which banks invest in cryptocurrencies?
Let’s start with the banks. You may have heard that banks would rather cryptocurrency go than come, but why? Well, that’s very easy to explain. Banks exist because we put our money there.
We save, pay and borrow from financial institutions. If we no longer need this service, because you store your cryptocurrencies in a crypto wallet… Then banks are suddenly superfluous. And of course they don’t want to lose that central position.
So far this is a very logical story. That banks also invest in cryptocurrencies is quite hypocritical. By investing, they immediately confirm that there is indeed a future in this digital currency, because otherwise why would the banks invest in it themselves?
These banks have absolute faith in cryptocurrencies and the blockchain
So let’s get to the point. Blockdata investigated which major banks invest in cryptocurrencies and blockchain. The biggest surprise is that ING is one of the largest investors, with more than $170 million in investments. This while there are several messages from the institution that Bitcoin is a great danger and you could never make regular payments with it.
Other financial institutions are also investing heavily in the crypto industry, such as:
- Standard Chartered of London ($380 million);
- BNP Paribas ($236 million);
- BNY Mellon ($321 million);
- Barclays ($12 million).
What crypto and blockchain projects do banks invest in?
To begin with, ING invests mainly in HQLAx. This project makes it possible to lend securities in an innovative way. Blockchain technology is all the rage, so it will come as no surprise that financial institutions want to keep up.
The biggest international investors are mainly putting their money, according to Blockdata, into projects that want to take the forex market to the next level. Fiat money has had its moment, so we are truly on the verge of a breakthrough. Cobalt is a good example of this as they are in the process of modernizing the financial infrastructure.
Ripple, Coinbase, and Quantstamp are also popular investments from the largest banks. So it seems that the banks also notice that it’s five minutes to twelve.
These Top Companies Are Investing in Blockchain
Blockchain is the technology behind cryptocurrencies. In terms of data and security, blockchain technology has a lot to offer. Not only for cryptocurrencies, but also for the processing of privacy-sensitive information, such as in the health sector or when applying for a mortgage.
Before we dive into the list of known investors, let me first tell you about the benefits of working with blockchain technology:
- Data transparency. Everyone has the same data at their disposal;
- Thanks to smart encryption, it is virtually impossible to commit fraud on the blockchain;
- You manage all the data and tasks yourself, which makes it cheaper (you do not need banks or intermediaries);
- It works quickly and efficiently.
List of companies investing in blockchain technology
Now you know a little bit about blockchain technology and you can imagine that this is an interesting opportunity for many companies. Where there is smoke, there is fire and that means there is profit to be made. But which leading companies are investing in blockchain? We have made a list for you!
- Digital Currency Group is arguably one of the biggest investors in this area. That’s why they call themselves The epicenter of the bitcoin and blockchain industry. They are located in the financial heart of the world, namely New York. With more than 60 investments, they contribute about 80 million dollars to projects such as Ledger and Blockchain Inc.;
- Blockchain Capital is a San Francisco-based company dedicated to the development of the blockchain industry. The more than $70 million is injected into Ripple, Coinbase and Blockstream;
- NGC Ventures is based in Singapore and also has a large share of the pie. With a total investment of $400 million, they are paving the way for the future. They mainly focus on projects based on decentralization, so that more independence is created;
- Another superpower in the investment world: Pantera Capital. Investor in blockchain, but also in crypto! $65 million went to projects like Blockstream, Circle, and Coinbase. They have already invested in dozens of companies and projects, such as Coinbase, Korbit, Polkadot & Wyre;
- Fenbushi Capital is a Chinese company founded in 2015. Most of its investments, a whopping $12 million, go to companies like Fold, which create new users for Bitcoin. They also invest money in Multiverse Labs, which focuses on the integration of powerful applications and technology.
And the list goes on…
- Andreessen Horowitz – $55 million in Harbor, Coinbase and Trip.io;
- India-based IDG Capital invested over $30 million in Ripple, among others;
- Unleashed potential, thanks to TechStars who invested over $3 million in Filament & Chainalysis;
- Kindred Ventures pumped $15 million into projects like TruStory, Relay, and Rare bits. As an angel investor, they only look for early stage companies;
- 500 StartUps are profiled with the slogan ‘We invest in the world’s potential’ and the funny thing is that they are probably not wrong. They have a gigantic portfolio of progressive companies, where they focus primarily on high-impact ecosystems.
These companies invest in cryptocurrencies
In addition to banks, many corporate companies also invest in cryptocurrencies. Cryptocurrencies are an alternative form of money, as we have known them for centuries. It is a digital currency, not money that you hold in your hand, which makes it seem like a vague concept to many people.
I think we can agree that Elon Musk (Tesla’s famous CEO) is a major shareholder in the crypto scene. Musk personally bought a lot of Bitcoin (BTC), which he says he still has. However, Tesla recently sold 10% of the original $1.5 billion Bitcoin (BTC). However, apart from Tesla, there are many other companies that invest heavily in cryptocurrencies.
List of companies that invest in cryptocurrencies
- MetaStable invests in ‘coins, not companies,’ according to the message on its website. They believe that investing in the blockchain carries risks, while investing in the underlying currencies makes most of the risks go away;
- Empowering humanity and decentralizing markets is high on their list. We are talking about BlueYard Capital. They want to get rid of the software monopoly and give data the freedom it deserves. They do this by investing in new projects and early-stage coins;
- Galaxy Digital Holdings connects cryptocurrencies to the financial establishment, managing over $500 million worth of Bitcoin (BTC);
- One of the most famous cryptocurrency companies in the world: Coinbase. You can easily buy and sell cryptocurrencies through the platform. They announced in the spring of 2021 that they had $230 million worth of Bitcoin (BTC) in their possession;
- Bitcoin Group SE is a German company that promotes itself as the first crypto bank in Germany. They manage $126 million worth of Bitcoin (BTC) and only invest in projects that have an innovative business plan and use modern technology.
And the list goes on…
- HCM Capital is a cross-border platform that invests in cryptocurrencies and DeFi;
- plaza inc. he is convinced of the success of Bitcoin (BTC) and also intends to see the currency as a long-term investment;
- With the aim of ‘leading enterprise Bitcoin miner’, you can’t ignore Marathon Digital Holdings. They are building the largest mining operation in North America, with a significant handful of Bitcoin (BTC);
- Hut8mining is a pioneer of the global digital economy, with about 3,522 BTC ($112 million) in the summer of 2021. They plan to have 5,000 BTC in their possession by the end of 2021, so I’m excited to see how far they go!
- Last but not least: Riot Blockchain Inc. This is also a Bitcoin mining company, so there is nothing new under the sun in that regard. They are rapidly scaling in the US and already have over $70 million worth of Bitcoin (BTC) on their hands.
Why would anyone invest in crypto or blockchain?
If you want to invest in crypto or blockchain technology, you are absolutely on time. These are far from mainstream, but they are definitely the future. Despite my belief in this, this is in no way financial advice or a recommendation. Always do your own research and make informed decisions. Investing always involves risks.
Ok, now that we’ve discussed this, I’d like to give you some ideas. These could be the reasons why you also want to invest in crypto and blockchain:
- You may have heard ‘the bubble is going to burst’, but this is a story from years ago. Bitcoin has had several bull runs, which in addition to high highs have also had deep lows. The price has been bullish from the start and of course corrections are part of that. Generally speaking though, Bitcoin (BTC) is making higher highs and higher lows;
- Blockchain technology is innovative and incredibly useful. The number of potential applications is endless, which really should make us develop much faster;
- There is a lot of information available, including on our AllesOverCrypto.nl site. Take advantage of this and get inspired;
- Trades have improved over the years. It has become easier, but also safer, to trade cryptocurrencies;
- It is already too late to invest in cryptocurrencies. Have you ever heard of that? Please, when something is a closed book, it’s too late. Crypto and blockchain are still as green as grass, so there are plenty of opportunities. Read, research and take your chance.
It is clear that investors often find their way to cryptocurrencies and the blockchain. There are many projects, companies and currencies that earn the trust of corporate investors. The list on this blog is a good start, but I could go on writing for a while. Crypto and blockchain are paving the way to our (financial) future, so more and more investors will be interested in these types of projects.
There are many large investment companies that have a stake in Bitcoin (BTC). This is certainly the best known of the coins, but of course by no means the only one. I hope there will be more attention for altcoins in the years to come. Think of Ethereum (ETH), UniSwap (UNI), Solana (SOL), Polkadot (DOT), and Binance Coin (BNB). Furthermore, blockchain technology has all the potential to be life changing, especially now that there is an increasing focus on interoperability. Agents of change in this scene include Quant Network (QNT) and Avalanche (AVAX). Time will tell, but do your research, make your decisions, and prepare for a future where everything is digital.
Do you have any questions about investing in crypto or blockchain? Do you have problems with other concepts that came up in this story? You will find the answers quickly and easily in our frequently asked questions. What also works is googling your question + ‘All About Crypto’. It is very likely that we have already written an article in the past on the topic you would like to know more about. Then quickly join our AllesOverCrypto Facebook group! Our crypto and blockchain experts are here to answer your questions. I’ll see you there?
header image: Nataliya Vaitkevich via pexels