At the Defense, Security and Safety (DSS) unit, we are always looking for new investigative talent with a fresh perspective. As a junior scientist, you will join one of fifteen research groups, where you will join various research projects with defense and security as the main topic. You will work on new concepts and technologies in one of the most innovative R&D environments in the Netherlands. And this together with the best researchers in various technology-oriented fields. Thanks to the versatility of projects and the experience of your colleagues, you will be able to develop on all kinds of fronts. You have an important voice in this. And also unique: with the research you do, you have a serious impact on peace and security around the world.
At DSS, we strive for an inclusive culture where we are open, talk and listen, and take care of one another. We work together toward shared goals, across disciplines and departments, encourage diversity, and learn from each other’s experiments and ideas. This puts science and innovation at the forefront. Read more about defense and security at TNO.
Meet some of your future colleagues here: Working for a safe society | Meet TNO – YouTube
What are you going to do?
your challenge? Translate customer problems into practical, feasible and impactful solutions. Typically, these are not market-ready products yet, but rather the gateway to them. You always work on several research projects at the same time. Analyze, design, test and report; As a junior scientist, these are your most important tasks. Testing is typically done via computer simulation or in one of our state-of-the-art laboratories. And regularly also in the ‘field’ with the customer.
We determine in consultation which projects you are working on, based on your knowledge and ambitions. In any case, there are plenty of options. Are you interested in robotics, AR and VR, AI or sensor and radar technology? Would you like to further explore the possibilities of human-machine interaction? Or design algorithms to gain insight into complex military operations or human behavior in a technical context? Everything is possible. You choose if you want to delve into a specialized field or if you develop in a broad way. Read more about defense and security at TNO.
How do you want to contribute to the world of tomorrow? How big can its impact be? Come and work at TNO and see for yourself.
what we expect from you
What else do you bring:
- A master’s degree or doctorate in, for example, one of the following disciplines: physics, electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, data science, computer science, informatics, artificial intelligence, mathematics, econometrics, psychology, industrial design, or (technical) management Business .
- Or an HBO diploma with the ambition of getting a college degree.
- A few years of relevant work experience is allowed, but we also have several beautiful places to offer to get you started.
- Interest in the field of defense and security.
what we offer you
Maybe you want to grow in the direction of trading or consulting. Or do you want to become a project manager, immerse yourself further in sustainable innovations, or make a career as a technical expert? We can also explore the possibilities of conducting doctoral research.
In addition, at TNO you can put together a ‘menu’ of working conditions that adapts to your personal situation. Whatever you can expect:
- An extremely professional and innovative work environment, with the best experts as colleagues.
- Possibility of following courses, trainings and workshops and attending congresses, and coaching if you need it.
- 33 days of vacation (with full-time employment).
- An employer that values and fosters diverse talent, with initiatives such as the Women’s Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community, and roundtables on inclusion issues.
- Travel expenses or bicycle.
- Enjoyable activities with your team and other TNO employees. This way you will quickly meet a lot of people.
- Flexible work hours and the option to work from home.
- Access our Talent Development Program.
- Networking opportunities and fun activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Comprehensive relocation package for international applicants.
- A good pension plan.
Read here which conditions of employment you can choose from.
TNO as an employer
At TNO we foster an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring. It is precisely by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference to society. Know more? Read what steps we are taking in the field of diversity and inclusion.
How is the proccess?
We are looking for several short-term professionals. After your response, we will see which department(s), within the Defense, Security and Protection unit, best suits your experience. Do you prefer this? Please mention this in your application. The application procedure consists of two rounds of interviews. In a final meeting, we discuss the terms of employment that you draft yourself. Our goal is to complete the entire procedure in four weeks.
An online assessment and reference check may be part of the selection procedure.
As you will also be working for clients in the field of defense and security, it is necessary for the AIVD to issue a Declaration of No Objection (VGB). That’s why you undergo a security check beforehand. You can read more information about it here.
Did this vacancy awaken something in you?
Then we look forward to receiving your reply!
For more information about the work or the procedure, please contact us.
recruiter: Helen Stork
Mobile: +31 (0)6-515 34922
HR director: Wemke Weij, van der
phone number: +31(0)6527 79032
There is no acquisition in response to this vacancy.